Are you failing a class? Don’t worry, you have plenty of time to catch up

By Taurean Small

Where did the time go?

It is already a week or so past the middle of the semester, and yet it feels like just last Thursday was move-in day. Some of you will soon reap the benefits of the hard work you put in this semester, while others will probably look in horror as their days of skipping class for longer naps will come back to haunt them.

But do not be discouraged. It is only half time, and I know this pep talk can make you into a winner before the game is over.

First thing’s first: You are not a failure, so stop beating yourself up. Most of the time, the biggest problem a lot of students have with turning their grades around is their lack of self-confidence. The best advice for maintaining a stress-free head during school is to focus on what is important right now.

“During an exam, worry only about the questions in front of you, instead of how it could affect your performance in the class later,” said Shevawn Eaton, director of ACCESS. I am not saying ignore everything else besides what is going on that day, but focus on doing your best on that exam/assignment rather than worrying about how it can negatively affect your grade later on.

The next thing you want to do is go to class. I know just how burdensome a 10-minute walk to DuSable can be at 8 a.m. after partying with your fraternity house the night before, but getting the hands-on instruction from your professor should be your main priority in college. If lessons are conveniently available for you online, they serve only as aid to follow along in class, not as a get-out-of-class-free card.

Think about it this way, you are paying a couple hundred dollars to take the class; why not show up for it?

Once you finally make it to class, try talking to your professor; regardless of whether your professor can or can’t recognize you. Every instructor on campus has a passion for helping their students.

“It is never too late [to get help from the professor],” Eaton said. “The professor makes the exams and knows the material better than anyone.”

If you are not courageous enough to talk to your professor in front of the class, make a trip to their office.

“Take advantage of their office hours,” Eaton said. “Most professors encourage their students to see them after class.”

The last thing you should do is change your study habits. Before you start to cringe at the word, you should know that you do not have to pull all night cram sessions in order to succeed.

“Stay on task with the syllabus and use the tutoring services that are available,” said Michele Stieren, PeopleSoft Academic Advising Coordinator. “Use your planner to manage a studying schedule around your classes.”

Time management is also a good way to regulate your bad study habits.

“Use the time you would ordinarily waste on breaks between classes to do some studying,” Eaton said.

That means no more naps, at least for now.