Students hand out fliers to find fellow Huskie

Junior+sociology+major+Emma+Booras+hands+out+fliers+Tuesday+at+the+MLK+Commons+with+information+about+missing+NIU+student+Antinette+Keller.+

Junior sociology major Emma Booras hands out fliers Tuesday at the MLK Commons with information about missing NIU student Antinette Keller.

By Leah Spagnoli

Student-led groups made their way through DeKalb Wednesday to hand out fliers door to door, looking for help in the search for missing NIU student Antinette Keller.

The students met at 2:45 p.m. in the Sunset Room in the Stevenson complex to discuss how they would go about handing out fliers for the second day in a row.

“People need to be aware of their safety,” said John Jones, associate vice president of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management. “Never approach a residence you don’t know alone. Safety is key in this situation. We want people in groups of three or more handing out fliers.”

The areas from the railroad tracks in downtown DeKalb to Taylor Street were being covered, between Ellwood Avenue to South First Street.

NIU provided students with maps of the covered area, along with what specific streets they were supposed to approach. They asked these people to look out for anything strange in the area.

Each day, these teams will be covering more ground.

“If it was someone you knew, it would be important for you to get involved too,” said junior nursing major Carly Herrera. “We’re all Huskies trying to find one of the pack.”

The team will be meeting again today at 2:45 p.m. in the Sunset Room of the Stevenson complex to debrief how things went Wednesday afternoon. More fliers will be available for volunteers to pass out to a different area of DeKalb.

“It has not been determined how many days people will be handing out fliers; the goal is to find Toni,” Jones said. “If it becomes necessary, we will move into the surrounding communities on Sunday.”