Students reactions in investigation

By Alex Fiore

The desire for new information regarding the death investigation of Antinette “Toni” Keller by NIU students and the DeKalb community has been consistent since her disappearance on Oct. 14.

When it was announced on Oct. 29 that William P. Curl, 34, of DeKalb had been charged with the murder of Keller, students had a variety of reactions to the news.

“I was happy to find out they had a [suspect],” said Alexis Demopoulos, freshman physical education major.

A common topic of conversation on campus since Keller went missing has been safety. NIU has taken increased security measures since Keller’s disappearance, but students still have a mixed reaction when it comes to their safety.

“I feel safe knowing that they’re doing something about it,” said Brittany Anderson, freshman business administration major. “But I don’t really feel safer knowing that he’s in custody.”

“[I feel safer] and I’m happy they found someone, said freshman nursing major Samantha Garbacz. “It’s scary that it happened so close to home.”

Garbacz said she feels better that someone has been brought into custody, but still plans on taking precautions when walking around campus.

Garbacz is not the only student considering their safety while on campus now.

“I don’t walk by myself anymore, it doesn’t matter if its day or night,” Anderson said. “I don’t wear my iPod anywhere, because I need to be aware of what’s going on.”

Freshman psychology major Shaun McCabe said he never felt unsafe while on campus, even after Keller went missing.

“I felt safe to begin with,” McCabe said. “I knew it was an isolated incident.”

Even though Curl was taken into custody, students are still looking for more information on the investigation.

“Certain details should be concealed,” Anderson said. “But the fact that they found [human remains] and didn’t let us know for a week was weird to me. I feel like we should have been more updated.”

Curl is charged with five counts of first-degree murder, one count of arson, one count of criminal sexual assault, one count of obstructing justice and one count of unlawful possession of a motor vehicle.

Curl is being held at the DeKalb County Jail and is presumed innocent of all charges until proven guilty.