Grace period and early voting come to NIU

By Shaun Zinck

Starting today, the DeKalb County Clerk’s Office will be on campus to register NIU students, faculty and DeKalb residents to vote in the county.

Grace period and early voting will be from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. in the main level of the Holmes Student Center as part of a pilot program passed by the Illinois Congress last spring. The program requires several state universities, including NIU, to have a place for students to register and vote on campus in a “high-traffic area.”

Grace period voting started in the county on Oct. 12 and goes until Oct. 28. The clerk’s office will only be on campus until Thursday.

Mary Lynn Meisch, DeKalb County chief deputy clerk, said the clerk’s office tried to get more days at the university, but it was difficult because of the way the law was written.

“We have to be in a high-traffic area,” Meisch said. “It’s difficult to find enough space for a long-period of time.”

Brad Hoey, team leader for Media Relations and Internal Communication for NIU, said the program is good for all DeKalb residents.

“It’s a great opportunity to give residents that live near NIU to register and vote at the same time,” Hoey said.

Hoey said the Holmes Student Center was chosen as the location because of its central location on campus and the high volume of people that walk through everyday.

Derek Tyson, DeKalb County board member for District 5, said it’s important for everyone that lives in DeKalb to register and vote in DeKalb, including students.

“The main reason is that [students] live here,” Tyson said. “They are taxpayers. Every time they pay rent that goes towards the tax base.”

Tyson’s opponent, Wesley Hoadley, agreed and said students should care about what goes on in DeKalb.

“We would like to see a big turnout,” he said. “They are going to live here for the next four years. They should want to have their voices heard.”

Daniel Krouse, president of the NIU College Democrats, said students will be affected by the election more than they realize.

“If something goes wrong and you have to go before a judge, are you more likely to see the judge out here, where you spend most of your time, or back home?” Krouse said. “Overall, you need to vote.”

Josh Kreft, president of the NIU College Republicans, said it doesn’t matter what party students identify with, voting is important.

“It comes down to the simple fact that students are here for most of the year,” Kreft said. “What happens here affects them whether they realize it or not.”

The university will also have temporary short-term parking for residents looking to register. Parking will be in the visitor lot south of the Holmes Student Center.

Hoey said parking was the biggest obstacle the university had to overcome.

“We wanted to give all DeKalb residents the opportunity to register and vote if they wanted to,” he said. “We needed a place for them to park that was relatively close to campus.”

Planning to vote?

Those wishing to register to vote in DeKalb must bring two forms of identification, one that shows your DeKalb address and the other only requires your name.

You must vote at the same time you register. You will not be eligible to vote on Nov. 2 during the general election.