Students play video games against DJs for prizes

KISS FM Intern MJ Slykas (left) competes against sophomore psychology major Melissa Jennings in a game of Wii Fencing as junior biology sciences major Jennifer Zambrano (right) watches during the Kiss FM/AMP College Tour Wednesday afternoon in the MLK Commons. The event, hosted by CAB, included free food and beverages as well as raffles for gift cards and other prizes.

By Troy Doetch

The AMP/KISS FM Promotional Event College Tour drew crowds of students to MLK Commons on Wednesday. The event, hosted by the Campus Activities Board, combined entertainment from the 103.5 KISS FM Street Team, prizes and giveaways as a part of the college’s 2010 Welcome Days.

Music was courtesy of DJ Maurice Halsted Jr. of the 103.5 Beat Freaks, and DJ Special K from the station also made an appearance. Visitors of the event could register to win a $500 Best Buy gift card, or one of 40 $5 Taco Bell gift cards, said MJ, a part-time DJ for KISS FM.

MJ also played games against students on a Nintendo Wii, giving them a chance to win CDs, T-shirts and other miscellaneous prizes.

“I had fun, but I didn’t think I was going to win anything,” said Kathy Ramirez, who won Christina Aguilera’s latest album “Bionic.”

Students were also given a chance to earn something more substantial, as they were put in contact with a Chicago radio station that offers internships to students.

Byron Neal Jr., associate vice-president of public relations of the Campus Activity Board, hopes that students took advantage of this occasion.

“The event provided students with an opportunity to take their career to the next level,” Neal said.

With students gathering around blasting dance music, dancing and waving Wii controllers, it was quite a spectacle to some.

“There are a lot of characters,” said Jessica Van Oss, junior theater design major whose costume design class had been brought to the event to observe the attendees’ attire. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen an event like this draw so much of a crowd.”