NIU student charged with sexual assault

NIU student charged with sexual assault

By Shaun Zinck

DeKALB | An NIU student charged with criminal sexual assault is waiting to be released from the DeKalb County Jail after posting bond Monday night. Jail officials said Nicholas F. Hetherington, 18, has to be fitted with a home monitoring device before he can be released. As of Tuesday evening, jail officials said they were still waiting for Hetherington’s mother to surrender his passport.

Hetherington is accused of sexually assaulting a woman who was unable to give consent, said NIU Police Sgt. Alan Smith. Smith said the victim is over the age of 18, but was intoxicated during the incident.

The alleged assault occurred in Hetherington’s dorm room in Douglas Hall between 4:00 and 5:36 a.m. on Sunday, Smith said. Hetherington was arrested later that morning after police interviewed him and the victim.

Smith said the police were called at 5:36 a.m. Sunday about a missing person, which led to an investigation and eventually Hetherington’s arrest.

Family members posted 10 percent of the $50,000 bond set for Hetherington Monday night, jail officials said.

Smith said Hetherington will also face disciplinary action from the university as well.

“Usually when a crime is committed near the dorms the suspect will be banned from entering [the dorms],” Smith said. “The student will typically be suspended from school and will then have to appeal the decision to be reinstated.”

If convicted, Hetherington could face up to 15 years in prison.