Drake returns to the Convo in October

By Chris Krapek

Rap, pop and country; The Convocation Center recently announced three diverse shows for the fall semester.

Critically acclaimed rapper and Lil’ Wayne protégé Drake will kick things off when he takes the stage Sunday, Oct. 17. The Canadian born emcee rose to stardom last year with the single “Best I Ever Had,” and is currently promoting his new chart-topping album “Thank Me Later.”

Heather Priest, marketing manager for the Convocation Center, said Drake has been the number one most requested performer to come to NIU after he played a free show there last year.

“Every time I put on Facebook, ‘Who do you want to see?’ everyone always says Drake,” she said. “There’s a buzz around campus.”

On Saturday morning, a line of over a 100 people were waiting to get tickets for Drake when they went on sale at 10 a.m. Priest said she anticipated some people would get there as early as 6 a.m.

Ashlei Taylor, one of the first people in line, was ecstatic about Drake coming to NIU.

“He’s blowing up, he’s coming up in the world and he’s growing up,” she said. “I just want to support him.”

Clipse, the revered hip-hop duo from Virginia, will open the show. Tickets ranging from $31.50-$39.50 are on sale now. Students with a valid NIU OneCard will receive $5 off.

Also performing this fall is indie/electro pop band Passion Pit. The show, part of the Campus Consciousness Tour, will be on Thursday, Oct. 21. The rising quintet released their first album “Manners” and performed at Lollapalooza last year.

Tickets go on sale on Thursday and prices range from $27.50-$35.50.

Rounding up the line-up is The CMT Tour featuring Texan singer Miranda Lambert on Thursday, Nov. 18. Lambert, who will be joined by Eric Church, won the award for “Best Female Vocalist” at the Academy of Country Music Awards this year.

Tickets go on sale on Friday, Oct. 8 and prices are to be announced.