Frat house fire results in $300,000 in damages, cause still undetermined

By NORTHERN STAR STAFF

Thirteen NIU students have been displaced after their fraternity house was heavily damaged in a fire.

DeKalb Fire Chief Bruce Harrison said a fire broke out at the Omega Delta house, 835 Greenbrier Road, before 6 a.m. Wednesday causing an estimated $300,000 in damages, according to a DeKalb Fire Department press release.

The release also said the fire originated on a front porch sofa, and the stated that cause of the fire is “undetermined but unable to rule out smoking materials.”

“It was a multi-alarm fire. It required more resources than we have,” Harrison said.

Thirty-five firefighters were on the scene from DeKalb, Sycamore, Maple Park, Cortland and Genoa Fire Departments, while an additional Malta ambulance was also on the scene, the release said.

Two students were taken to Kishwaukee Community Hospital. One student sustained injuries when they had jumped out of a second story window, while the other is being treated for possible smoke inhalation, said Melanie Magara, director of NIU Public Affairs.

Hospital supervisor Rachel Kranz said one of them was released, while the other was being treated for injuries. They declined to specify which student.

NIU and a number of organizations are helping the displaced students. Volunteers from the DeKalb chapter of the American Red Cross were at the scene by 7:30 a.m., said Rochelle Kripe, marketing coordinator for the Red Cross.

“We gave them comfort kits, money to purchases clothing and shoes, and we’re assisting three individuals with eyeglasses,” Kripe said.

Representatives from the Salvation Army also provided clothing vouchers for students, as they had fled the building in their pajamas.

Both Kripe and Magara acknowledged the efforts of the Division of Student Affairs for not only providing additional clothing for the students, but temporary room and board as well.

“What they need now is a place to live, temporary items and clothing, until the summer,” Magara said.

Currently, Magara said the university is helping the students assess what was lost in the fire. The students’ professors have also been notified to make accommodations for them regarding finals.

NIU Athletics provided clothing to the student as well. Six counselors from Counseling and Student Development Center were also there.

“The whole university responded really quickly,” Carmen Lucia, a predoctoral intern from the center. “We’re just a small part of it.”

Huskie Bus Lines 5, 3 and 3A have been rerouted for the time being, said a representative for Veolia Transportation.

The buses are unable to go on Greenbrier Road and Russel Road. Route 5 is being rerouted to Annie Glidden Road and Routes 3 and 3A is being rerouted to Normal Road.

The Associated Press contributed to this article.