Today’s voting makes a difference

By LAUREN STOTT

Remember November? Election Day was America’s biggest party, and voters are still recovering. Election Day is back, and DeKalb residents have the chance to vote for their representation in city politics.

Although local elections might not harbor that same level of democratic pride that came with voting in the national election, voters should feel even more pivotal in the election process at the local level.

Local elections affect voters more pointedly than national elections do.

Here, voters have the chance to interact with candidates, let city officials know exactly what their concerns are and hopefully see results.

When was the last national election where you were able to let candidates know exactly what your concerns are? When you could call the candidates, speak to them and ask them questions? Never! That’s why local elections are so remarkable. Local elections allow everyone to be involved. You might not be able to sit in the Oval Office while President Barack Obama meets with foreign dignitaries, but every single DeKalb resident can watch the DeKalb City Council deliberate on Monday nights.

Students who registered to vote in the November election are eligible to vote today. Everyone should take advantage of the opportunity to make DeKalb a more desirable community for students to reside.

One facet of this election that has been subjected to a lot of exposure is the liquor commission. Whoever is victorious as mayor tomorrow also takes the post as DeKalb liquor commissioner. This position affects local bars and any establishment that sells alcohol.

Controversy continues to build around Detox, 1000 W. Lincoln Highway, and both students and residents have a stake in what becomes of the location.

Students and residents also have an easy way to voice their opinion of the best person to handle the situation by voting. Everyone who is registered to vote should take some time today to refresh themselves on the stances of each candidate, decide who would best represent their interests and vote. Voting is the easiest way to let your local government know what you want. If there is something you want from your government, voting today is the first step toward getting it.