DeKalb school board selects three new members

By NORTHERN STAR STAFF

DeKalb School District 428 School Board

There are seven total members on the DeKalb School District 428 School Board. Three seats were up for election. The top three vote getters are elected to the three vacant seats.

Winner: Mike Verbic

Mike Verbic has been the board president for two years. He said the district must continue to make sure every child meets and exceeds standards so every child has an equal opportunity to succeed and contribute to society.

Source: Northern Star Voter Guide

Mike Verbic – “Honored, privileged so many people support me to continue my work. School board is important. I look forward to working with our new board member.”

Winner: Michael Lord

Michael Lord has been on the school board for eight years. He said his top priority is fiscal responsibility. He said the board must require that educational priorities be set and programs not matching these priorities be reduced or eliminated to save costs. Lord’s second priority is to make sure 93 percent of students who have been in the district for two or more years must meet state standards by 2013.

Source: Northern Star Voter Guide

Michael Lord – “It’s a pretty exciting night for us. I’m pretty pleased about the campaign we ran, and the re-election of Michael Verbic and myself indicates the board is headed in the right direction.”

Winner: Jessica Lyons

Jessica Lyons is an NIU student majoring in sociology. She wants to bring more parent involvement and parent strategy to the board, as well as be more involved with the students. Lyons also want to bring more accountability and transparency to the school board and allow parents and students to communicate with the district and receive answers.

Source: Northern Star Voter Guide

Jessica Lyons – No comment as of press time.

Charles P. Hillier “The people spoke and elected the people chosen. I guess the people who asked for change didn’t want change that bad.”

Mellodie Howard-Powell- No comment as of press time.

-Shaun Zinck

Charles P. Hillier . . . . . . 1,547 13.28 percent

Michael Lord . . . . . . . . . 2,552 21.91 percent

Mike Verbic . . . . . . . . . . 3,260 27.99 percent

Jessica Lyons . . . . . . . . . 2,626 22.55 percent

Mellodie Howard-Powell . . . . 1,660 14.26 percent

Source: DeKalb County unofficial election results Web site as of press time Tuesday