Massage therapy an effective stress fighter

By KEVIN KOVANICH

Massages can help lower stress levels when times get tough.

Some DeKalb and Sycamore businesses see an increase in students getting massages during finals week.

Jim Fatz, licensed massage therapist and part-owner of Center for Integrative BodyWork, 130 N. Fair St., in Sycamore, said they see more students around finals time looking for massages.

“We definitely see an increase in the student population before, during and after finals,” Fatz said.

He said a massage gives students the opportunity to relax for a period of time. Fatz also said massages lower stress-causing hormones in the body.

“Massage is shown to reduce cortisone levels in the body,” Fatz said. “Cortisone is related to depression and anxiety.”

Fatz said it can also help the immune system, sleep patterns, digestion, concentration and focus.

Kishwaukee Community Hospital, 1 Kish Hospital Drive, also sees a slight increase in students wanting massages around finals time, said licensed massage therapist Nicole Milholland.

Milholland said massages can be beneficial to the brain.

“[Massage] increases the amount of serotonin available in the brain,” Milholland said. “[Serotonin] makes people happy and less stressed.”

Mark Snow, massage therapist at FitWorkz, 1690 Sycamore Road, said studies have been done where massage therapists are brought into businesses.

Snow said on days when the therapist was in, the workers showed they didn’t tire as easily, there was less tension among co-workers and less absenteeism.