Although safety and financial concerns for studying abroad increases, students should still consider the opportunity

By KATY AMES

Studying abroad can be an unforgettable, life-changing opportunity that opens many doors. At the same time, planning may be tiresome, stressful and create worry for parents.

With the recent earthquake in Italy and warnings about dangers to tourists in Mexico, parents’ worries understandably grow. By checking up on the students in Italy and posting their safety status on the study abroad Web page and by urging students not to visit or study in countries where there is a U.S. Department of State travel warning, NIU’s study abroad program has demonstrated that they are prepared to handle situations like these and students should not hesitate to take advantage of the program.

“Coming from Chicago, I would not worry about the weather in a different country because we have pretty much everything. For disasters like hurricanes, I would trust authorities to have plans and lead the students in the right direction,” said sophomore engineering major Peter Serb.

Freshman business major Jordan King agrees. “I don’t think fear of natural disasters would concern me too much if it was not likely to happen, otherwise it could happen to anyone.”

Natural disasters can happen anywhere, which is only one concern when planning to study abroad. Other concerns include cost and quality of education.

“Some students choose not to study abroad because they think it is too expensive,” said Emily Gorlewski, program coordinator at the study abroad office. “While there are some programs that cost a lot more than studying here in DeKalb, there are some that are actually about the same cost. Also, for the more expensive programs, there are scholarships and financial aid available that would not be available if the student were staying on campus. It is a great opportunity to travel the world while financial aid helps you pay for it.”

Serb says quality of the courses compared to the ones he is already taking is a concern to him when choosing to study abroad.

Gorlewski said some majors such as business and foreign language have more programs to study abroad, but any major can study abroad and, if planned properly, the experience can help students toward graduation rather than delay it.

Some students may also be intimidated by the sheer amount of planning required to spend a semester abroad. For anyone hesitant about the program because of the tedious planning involved, Gorlewski said there are information sessions at 3:30 p.m. every Wednesday and Thursday in Williston Hall Room 417.

“We also have program coordinators and a business manager in our office who are always available to meet with students on a walk-in or appointment basis,” she said.

NIU’s study abroad program covers the essentials and is helpful to students who choose to take advantage of it. More students should broaden their horizons and study while experiencing a different culture.