Students need to do more than just complain about Cole Hall’s funding

By KEITH CAMERON

During the course of a week, how many times do you pass Cole Hall? How many times have you wondered if the lecture hall will be torn down? If your answer is a number higher than the fingers on your hand, there is a question you should ask yourself: what have you done to fix the problem?

You have probably done what many people do — you’ve complained. Surprisingly, however, this mutual grumbling hasn’t amounted to any progress. Cole Hall still sits as a constant reminder to our shared apathy.

Maybe the proposed solutions have been good enough to pacify your concern. Funding could come from a state capital bill, or a federal stimulus package could give NIU the necessary funds.

Of course, Illinois hasn’t passed a capital bill in a decade, and the national government has larger problems to worry about.

“Since the State of Illinois is facing such severe budget deficits, it seems highly unlikely that the legislature will release funding for the construction of a new lecture hall anytime soon,” said communications instructor Robert Kornecki.

While funding may not come any time soon, there is no reason why the student population should remain silent about Cole Hall. Kornecki suggests the student population should speak with one voice and address its concerns to NIU’s administration.

“I think that once the administration starts to see how important [Cole Hall] is to students, that they will start taking more notice and start strategically planning for Cole Hall,” said Lauren Mock, Student Association vice president.

Simply stated, Cole Hall needs the support of students, because money won’t come unless someone asks for it. Relying on government funds has produced no solution in over a year, and it’s time students stop complaining and move forward.

There are sources of money coming in to the university. Consider the True North campaign, which has a collection goal of $150 million by 2010. If NIU can find money for True North, it can find money for Cole Hall.

Petition the university. Communicate with the administration. Voice your concerns. You have to walk past Cole Hall everyday. Stop complaining and do something.