Spring Break ideas for NIU students

By KIM SKIBINSKI

Believe it or not, Spring Break is right around the corner, and students such as Grant Carter are biding their time until the one-week vacation. Carter, senior political science major, is waiting patiently for a stress-free week.

Take a trip to a waterpark

According to the Wisconsin Dells Web site, there are two indoor waterpark attractions. The Kalahari Resort Waterparks, 1305 Kalahari Drive, Wisconsin Dells, Wis., has year-round full day and evening passes for $34 and $25 respectively. The Lost Rios Waterpark, North Highway 13, Wisconsin Dells, also has an all-day pass for about $30.

Wisconsin is not the only state with waterparks. According to www.enjoyillinois.com, Grizzly Jack’s Grand Bear Resort and Indoor Waterpark, Ill. Route 178, Utica, Ill., “is the first waterpark in the nation with motion sound and technology.”

The park and its attractions, however, are only for registered guests, so be sure to book tickets early.

Spend a day in the city

Chicago is always bustling with activity, and there is always plenty to see. Besides shopping on Michigan Avenue or State Street, why not spend some time in a museum? The Shedd Aquarium and The Field Museum both provide guests with a unique and educational experience for $20 or less with a student ID.

F If money is a problem, stop by The Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago on a Tuesday when admission is free.

Visit the exhibits at a zoo

Have a soft spot for creatures of all shapes and sizes? According to the Web site, Brookfield Zoo is home to animals ranging from the naked mole rat to the African elephant. General zoo admission is $12 for adults.

Freshman kinesiology major Sam Montgomery plans on going to the zoo if the temperature is warm enough.

“It’s fun to just walk around and hang out with people at the zoo,” Montgomery said. “Maybe [I’ll] go on a picnic.”

The Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago is open all year with free admission.