NASA recruiting students with disabilities

By DANIELLE DECARLO

Laureen Summers, program director of the American Association for Advancement of Science (AAAS), arrived at NIU Thursday morning for campus internship recruitment of students with disabilities.

The Entry Point internship program interviews were held at the Campus Life Building for students who are majoring in computer science, engineering, mathematics and some fields of business.

Summers represented the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), the most

commonly received internship by NIU students in past years.

“NASA offers skill enhancement in research and development, web design and other various career opportunities,” Summers said.

Summers, who has been affiliated with AAAS since 1996, began working with NIU students with disabilities in 1998.

“This is the first year we’ve done a presentation, but Laureen being here has had a great affect on students and I think that they are realizing this is a positive meeting,” Sheila Milan, instructor for Career Planning and Decision Making and Center for Access-Ability Resources (CAAR) coordinator, said.

During Summers’ years at NIU, she has helped students land internships with NASA and partnering groups like Google, IBM and CVS.

“Every year a student from NIU with a disability is selected for an internship,” Milan added.

This year the program began accepting geology and biology majors.

“They’re outstanding opportunities that lead to other internships and co-ops in so many different science careers,” Summers said.

Milan said the internships provide a unique avenue for students with disabilities and also hopes to include students from Kishwaukee College in next year’s recruitment.

Entry Point offers paid positions in areas that compliment certain majors with assistive technology, travel allowances and mentoring.

Applications will be accepted from September to May and early entry is recommended.