Old pastime, new sport

A new form of recreation has hit college campuses.

You don’t need a glove or a racket to participate. It’s been around from the dawn of time and anyone can take part. In most instances, it doesn’t take a team effort.

It’s sex.

That’s the word from a recent campus survey of 489 students at Duke University. The results were reported to the Society for the Scientific Study of Sex in Chicago this weekend.

According to the survey, which was reported in USA Today Monday, “Many college students drink heavily so they can live up to a popular ideal of ‘recreational sex’ that they’re not really comfortable with.”

In other words, peer pressure says you must have sex quite often or you’re nothing. Those that can’t handle the recreation cycle turn to alcohol as a relaxant to get them going. They want to fit in. They drink excessively and they can do anything—including have sex when they don’t want to.

The survey also found an interesting pattern developing over the years.

According to USA Today, more than 50 percent of women have pretended to enjoy sex versus fewer than 10 percent of men.

The pattern says about 40 percent of students both male and female, use drugs or alcohol to affect their sexual behavior. Also, between 20 and 40 percent of women say they have been physically or verbally coerced into sex, while 3 percent of men report the same thing. Between 30 and 85 percent of women say they’ve changed their minds during the sex act, and 5 to 20 percent of men report it has happened to them.

In this day, you’d be better off to take up racquetball or join a recreation center. It’s a lot safer and you’re not left with a hangover the next day.