Numbers aren’t enough in reference to ’08 Clery Act

By LAUREN STOTT

We live in a time where numbers are king. Enrollment numbers, tuition figures and statistics of all sorts are the hard facts which aid decision-makers to take action. Sometimes, however, the numbers just aren’t enough, and the 2008 Clery Act Report demonstrates that fact.

The 2008 Clery Act report, released Sept. 29, comes out every year. By law, the Clery Act requires colleges and universities to release information about crime occurring on and near campuses. For example, the NIU report showed between 2006 and 2007 the number of reported forcible sex acts increased by 10.

However, students should realize these numbers only reflect the amount of reports, and not necessarily the actual amount of crime. Plus, the information informs students, their families and the campus’ surrounding community of crime from the previous calendar year.

That is the first flaw of an ineffective plan with good intentions. Because the statistics are released once a year, students cannot feasibly use this information to their advantage. Crime statistics can only be proactive if they are released frequently. Violent crimes that happened a year ago may not reflect current crime patterns, and up-to-date information about crime is valuable in prevention.

The Clery Act also lacks specifics. The report includes no dates, no places and no circumstances. Students would benefit from knowing if a high concentration of crime occurs in a single area. How do students know where they are safe?

“Student Affairs values a safe and respectful environment and continually strives, as a campus partner, to make this a reality at NIU,” said Linda Herrmann, assistant vice president for Student Health and Wellness, in an e-mail.

Releasing a tally and a promise to strive for maximum safety is fine. But when it comes down to getting the information, students should take responsibility to keep themselves safe. They can not rely on vague information from the previous year.

Current crime won’t be reported on the home page of NIU’s Web site. That’s why students must be proactive in gathering published information about crime. In a timely way, students could decide if situations are dangerous. According to the Handbook for Campus Crime Reporting, available on the U.S. Department of Education Web site, a higher education institution is required to keep a crime log that records all criminal activity reported to the university or university police.

NIU’s crime log can be found at finfacil.niu.edu, the University Police Department’s Web site. Being aware of the crime log information immediately provides a heightened sense of awareness.

While the Clery Act is a well-intended idea, the information it provides is minimally helpful concerning current crime. Students should not wait for last year’s news. Stay proactive about your own safety.