NERF guns should be least of NIU worries

By KATY AMES

Humans vs. Zombies is, as most people refer to it around campus, a giant game of tag NERF fight.

According to the organization’s Facebook page, the group classifies itself as a sports and recreation activity. The game’s objective centers around a human team outlasting a zombie team until they “starve” to death. The game continues with simulated zombie versus human “battles” whenever a zombie or human see one another, with exceptions of course.

This group is all fun and games – with rules.

After the events of Feb. 14, the group was asked to discontinue the use of their NERF guns by the advisory council instituted by NIU, said Caitlyn Yimet, president and secretary of Humans vs. Zombies.

“A lot of players dropped out of the game when they heard that NERF guns were out this year,” Yimet said.

Conflicted emotions about the NERF gun removal exist among students.

“It is really hard, I think, because some people were really affected by the shooting, but NERF guns aren’t hurting anybody,” said Susan Hammerand, sophomore special education major.

Surely, no one wants to offend anyone on campus, but some students say it is just a game.

“It is insensitive to get rid of them,” said freshman engineering major Daniel Arroyo. “They are harmless and it takes away the fun of the game.”

Kelly Brombosz, undecided freshman, who has not previously heard of Humans vs. Zombies, also agrees NERF guns are harmless and would take away the fun of the game.

On April 24, Suite101.com claimed a common concern for most parents is that toy guns will increase real gun violence. This is a reasonable concern for younger children who are still developing character. However, Humans v. Zombies is a college organization with players that know right from wrong.

Yimet remains unsure if the ban on NERF guns will continue.

“We are hoping that it is only temporary, but depending on the campus itself, we will not know if the change will be permanent until next year,” Yimet said. “We will be reevaluating the sensitivity of the campus before next year and decide whether to permanently ban NERF guns or to bring them back in Fall of ‘09.”

Hammerand feels next year it would be safe to bring the NERF guns back. As do other Humans vs. Zombies members.

“If anything, people should realize from the shooting is that life goes by fast so you should have fun with it,” Brombosz said.

NIU will always be sensitive about its collective past. However, simply asking if NERF guns can return to campus next year is reasonable. College students just want to have fun. NERF should be the least of their worries.