Workshop teaches roommate conflict mediation techniques

By DANIELLE DECARLO

Campus residents and community advisers met at the program “Roommate and Mediate Conflict” Wednesday night at the Grant South Formal A Room.

Freshman undecided major Carolina Sienkiewicz, resident of the Grant South towers, joined other curious students at the event.

“I came ’cause I wanted to know my campus resources in the case that a conflict does arise with my roommate,” Sienkiewicz said.

The event was organized by community advisers (CA) and guest speaker Janice Driggers, staff assistant for the mediation office at Judicial Affairs, discussed roommate experiences, active listening, how to improve communication skills and the key points of the mediation process.

“Mediation is great for roommate conflicts because both sides come together to work for a solution and they have a sort of middle man to help out,” Driggers said.

The mediation process takes place at the Judicial Affairs office, where students who experience conflicts with roommates, suitemates, CAs, other floor residents or students in general can set up a meeting with a counselor and solve the situation.

Terrance Hopson, a sophomore sociology major with emphasis in criminology and one of the program organizers, feels that mediation is the best way for students to resolve issues.

“The best thing about mediation is that it’s a win-win situation and students are in control,” Hopson said.

Driggers also brought up sexual assault and violence consequences along with advice to CAs about conducting their own mediations within the dorms.

“Sexual assault and violence issues are legal matters that are taken into consideration by the judicial affairs office,” Driggers said.

The night ended with a question-answer session giving attendees more information on mediation, facts about the judicial affairs office and the types of consequences students in dorms receive due to unacceptable behavior.