Helping hands shouldn’t carry prescriptions

By LAUREN STOTT

Feeling stressed, tired, sad or worn out is nothing new for college students. Coping with class, work, extracurricular activities and social lives can be a burden on not only a tired body, but a weary mind, too.

It can be tempting to turn to the quick fix in the tiny bottle. However, the easiest solution may not always be the best. Rhonda Fried, an advanced practice nurse from the Ben Gordon Center, 12 Health Services Drive, offered some advice (that doesn’t involve a prescription) for individuals who aren’t feeling up to par.

“The majority of people don’t take the time to figure out what they actually need, they are looking for a quick fix,” said Fried. She described a situation that she often sees: individuals coming in for help and not wanting to search for answers as to why they are feeling upset. Instead, they want a prescription which will make them feel better quickly.

“We have become a very impatient society and now we haven’t begun to learn what we need,” Fried said. She said that many times, after talking with a client and learning more about their habits, she can suggest things like more exercise, meditation and yoga to try and solve whatever problems may be going on. She said that many times a client simply needs a shift in his or her lifestyle.

Everyone has seen the commercials touting a cure-all for depression symptoms, but prescription medications like Cymbalta and Prozac also come with a long list of side effects and possible complications. The Web site for Cymbalta lists side effects like sleepiness, constipation and increased sweating. Prozac’s include nausea, anxiety and impotence.

“Every medicine has side effects,” said Fried. “The bad news would be if the side effect turned out to be life-changing.”

The good news? There are other treatment options for students who need help. The Ben Gordon Center helps patients with things like “counseling, medication management, and walk-in services for anyone who may be in immediate danger,” Fried said.

The Psychological Services Center offers on-campus support for those in need, whether they are students or not. According to its Web site, the center offers different therapies in group, individual or family settings, and their services are useful for people suffering from a variety of problems. The center is located in the Psychology/Computer Science building at the corner of Normal Road and Lincoln Highway, and anyone is welcome to make an appointment.

“Students shouldn’t wait too long; they should find out what they need and get help, which will be in a different form for everyone,” Fried said.

She emphasized the importance of getting help soon and not waiting for bad feelings to become worse. When you start speaking with another person about your issue, you can start getting the help that is necessary.

A little help from a human being, not a pharmacy, may be just what some students need.