Prizes to be awarded at Friday’s CAB dance competition

By DANIELLE DECARLO

The NIU Campus Activity Board (CAB) is taking a “So You Think You Can Dance?” approach with their upcoming “Dance Show Competition” event.

“I love shows like that; I love dance,” said Stephanie Mewmaw, freshman undecided major. “I think that it’s going to be great to see students that I actually interact with performing [like] the way we see on television.”

Students that participate will be displaying talent in all different categories of dance, including modern hip-hop and jazz.

The event is co-sponsored by other NIU organizations Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., Creative Mind and Ebony Women.

This event is not the first of its type to take place at NIU.

“NIU has already established organizations like this, said Christina Calhoun, CAB member. “For example, Flip Mode and Annhiliation, which are other dance groups on campus.”

The categories of the competition and judging are not only based on the dance type alone. Style, creativity and the overall performance play significant factors in depicting the winners.

Winners can expect cash prices ranging in the hundreds, Calhoun said.

The event will take place today at the Carl Sandburg Auditorium at 8 p.m. The cost is $5 at the door.

Public admission fees will pay for the booking space of the event and competitor entry fees will go towards the cash prizes at the end of the competitions.