Students who go home for the weekend feel the pinch at the pump

By KEVIN KOVANICH

Students who go home for the weekend may be paying more than they think for gas.

Gas is actually approximately the same price in DeKalb as it is in some of Chicago’s suburbs. NIU transportation manager Bill Finucane said gas in DeKalb is more expensive because it is convenient for students to get gas closer to campus rather than travel to purchase it at cheaper prices.

“It comes down to the fact that the demand is higher [in DeKalb],” Finucane said. “The prices here typically match Chicago or the suburbs.”

Because many students at NIU travel home on weekends, gas stations can change prices to capitalize on the increased traffic, Finucane said.

“Gas prices go up on Thursday and Friday when students are trying to go home, and they come back down on Sunday and Monday,” Finucane said.

Gas stations have been doing this for years because of the increased traffic from students from out of town, he said. Finucane also said one may even find gas for 10 cents cheaper in St. Charles or Aurora.

As of Tuesday, the average price for gas in DeKalb was $3.05 per gallon, according to gasbuddy.com. The state average was $2.98 per gallon, while the Chicago average was $3.15 per gallon.

Oil prices have been dropping, so commuters may see a slight drop in gas prices, Finucane said.

“Oil barrel prices are down $15 in the past few weeks after hitting $100,” he said.

Danielle Arellano, a junior child development major, visits her sister in Marengo some weekends, and she gets a better bargain closer to campus.

“It’s usually a bit cheaper out here than in Marengo,” Arellano said. “It’s usually cheaper out past Target in Sycamore.”

Lauren Kopecky, a sophomore elementary education major, said she can find a better deal away from NIU.

“It’s usually cheaper by my house by three cents,” Kopecky said.