Shaw a sensation in cross country

By RYAN STRONG

While many freshmen are undecided about what they want to do, one student has hit the ground running.

Distance runner Sunsea Shaw, a native of South Bend, Ind., was recruited to join NIU’s cross country team after playing the sport for one year.

“I only did cross country during my senior year [of high school],” Shaw said. “I was given a scholarship. Without it I probably wouldn’t be in college.”

Earlier in the season, at the Roy Griak Invitational, Shaw finished the race as one of NIU’s top runners, with a time of 23:58.

Now, others around campus have begun to notice Shaw’s potential.

“[Shaw] hates to lose and works as hard as she can,” cross county coach Mark McConeghey said. “She works as hard as she can and that it is a great quality to have.”

Shaw’s teammates exhibited the same sentiment’s as McConeghey.

“She has been a great impact on the team,” said distance runner Denisse Valladares.

A well-rounded athlete, Shaw has been involved in sports since elementary school and also plays basketball and runs track and field.

“I really enjoy cross country and basketball, but I love track,” she said.

Shaw admits that she hates practice, which consist of running up to 10 miles per day, but enjoys competing in meets against other colleges.

“I never ran this much in my life,” she said. “In high school, I would have laughed at anyone who asked me to run this much.”

Although the cross county season has ended, Shaw is already planning for next year and ways to improve.

“I’m going to start doing even better than what I’m doing now,” she said. “I want to help the team to be ranked higher.”