Residence halls plan activities for family weekend

By Molly Statz

As family weekend draws near, the residence halls plan their own activities to coincide with the events planed by Campus Activities Board (CAB).

The main event of the weekend is the football game against the Salukies of Southern Illinois University at Carbondale.

CAB offers different activities throughout the entire day and the residence halls plan on informing the family of those activities.

The halls do not plan on CAB activities being the only ones for the families. Both Douglas and Lincoln halls have planned a coffee and donuts breakfast for the families in the morning before the game. Grant Towers has made banners to welcome the families to NIU.

Lincoln Hall has also planned a “Best Lincoln Hall mom and dad” contest. Each Resident Assistant (RA) will pass out a nomination sheet for each student.

The students will write why they believe their mom or dad is the best. RAs then will collect the nominations and a committee composed of RAs and Senior Staff members will cast the deciding votes. The most unique short paragraph will be selected as the winner.

Each residence hall offers dinner for the residents and their families. Meal tickets are $4.50 a person.

In order to participate in the dinner, a reservation would have to be made prior to the weekend. However, it is too late to make reservations.

Because the residence halls have planned few activities, they must rely on the activities CAB has planned for the weekend.

CAB will offer campus tours and they will show Walt Disney’s “Aladdin” in the Holmes Student Center’s Sandburg Auditorium. The Huskie Den will have a Candlelight Bowl on Friday night.