More needs to be done to take back the night

By MICHELLE GILBERT

A positive choice can make a difference, like whether or not to walk home alone at night, or whether to protest or not.

These choices can draw attention to important issues, such as crime and violence.

There have been an alarming amount of crimes lately. Three robberies were reported by the Northern Star on Oct. 2, 9 and 10. A stabbing was reported on Oct. 4, and fired gun shots were reported on Oct. 5.

Some are making the choice to address these issues.

The annual “Take Back the Night” march against sexual and night violence took place Oct. 2.

It’s great to see events such as “Take Back the Night” drawing attention to violence. It isn’t going to go away on its own, or just because of one rally.

Violence still occurs.

But maybe drawing attention to the issue will help to at least bring about a feeling of unity against these and other types of crimes.

If fewer people walk home alone at night, there is a smaller number of people who could possibly be robbed at night on the street.

Maybe the cooler weather we’re currently having will help. Potential thieves possibly won’t want to stand outside waiting for someone to come along at 3 a.m.

But whether or not that is the case, activism has brought about a lot of change and a lot of good to this campus.

Lighting is better than it once was. In some areas off-campus, lighting could still be improved. There are emergency call boxes on campus. The Huskie

Student Patrol is available to walk students home so they do not have to do so alone (at least after 6 p.m. Monday through Friday).

It took the efforts of the willing for those changes to come about, and there’s more that can be done to stay safe.

If out late at a friend’s, stay over if necessary, walk home in a group, take the bus if there is one running nearby, call the Late Night Ride Service at 815-753-2222 or call the Huskie Student Patrol at 815-753-3658.

The recent call for the violence to end will hopefully be heard by the community, and more positive changes will come.

We need to unite to stay safe.