One word is all it takes to make a change

By ALAN CESAR

One word can make all the difference.

Illinois lawmakers recently overrode Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s veto to a bill that changed one very important word in the legislation from “may” to “shall.”

This was an amendment to the Silent Reflection and Student Prayer Act. It now states that every public school “shall observe a brief period of silence with the participation of all the pupils therein assembled at the opening of every school day.”

It’s downright disgusting that our state government can’t come together to pass a budget by deadline, but can muster enough support to force schools to throw away instructional time.

This law is wasting your school’s resources and providing absolutely nothing to students. Officials in DeKalb School District 428 have expressed concern over the state’s priorities and their use of school time.

“We have a very tight school day,” said Lindsey Hall, DeKalb High School principal. “My teachers are very concerned with any time that’s taken away.”

Paul Beilfuss, DeKalb School District 428 superintendent, said legislators should be “pursuing infrastructure issues for the school, special education …” and a number of other real concerns.

“There are much more pressing issues” that need attention, Hall said.

Never mind the possibility that this might violate the constitutionally required separation of church and state, but this is bad legislation on the face of it. It’s completely unwarranted, unnecessary and unhelpful to educational goals.

There’s been no substantial rhetoric or research to back this bill up.

The House sponsor of the bill, Rep. Will Davis, D-Homewood, said this legislation might prevent school shootings like the recent incident in Ohio.

He makes this statement flatly, and provides no support for his assumption.

It’s simply a ridiculous, unfounded idea.

Advocates promoting state-sanctioned prayer in school often use the adage,

“As long as there are tests, there will be prayer in public schools.” That’s a misleading argument because no one’s suggesting a ban on prayer. Students still have freedom of religion and (limited) freedom of speech. Prayer shouldn’t be banned in school, but it shouldn’t step into another student’s time.

No tax-paying Illinois resident should be satisfied with this. School time needs to be used as efficiently as possible, and this law is standing directly against any educational goals.

This law has no way to punish schools for noncompliance, but Mike Verbic, District 428 school board president, said, “Our district complies with legislation.” Beilfuss echoed this sentiment.

Taxpayers need to make clear to our school districts that we want the best for the children of Illinois. Attend the next school board meeting and tell them you don’t want the school to waste any more of your students’ time or your money.

Tell them to ignore this law and maximize the time spent teaching.

One word was changed. With a few more words, we can change it back.