Save the text messaging for after class

By MICHELLE GILBERT

It seems classroom courtesy is becoming less important to students.

Where I used to not even notice vibrating phones from across the room or people text messaging friends, I’ve seen those things multiple times this semester.

One time, I was sitting in the second row of a 30-or 40-person class. The class only had four rows of chairs. A woman’s phone vibrated. She grabbed her phone and started text-messaging, holding her phone above her desk, where it could be easily seen.

This wasn’t the only time something like this happened, and this class isn’t in a lecture hall where students may feel anonymous. Text messaging in class shows a lack of interest and is distracting.

“It’s more of an attention issue,” said Devaki Rau, assistant management professor. “It’s very clear they’re not paying attention. It’s like reading a newspaper in class.”

These instances were not in classes that require attendance. If people don’t want to be there, they don’t have to be. Why can’t sending a text message wait another 30 minutes until class is over?

Rau mentioned she has not seen students doing much text messaging in her classes.

“You don’t need a cell phone in my class and you don’t need to text message in my class; it doesn’t aid the learning process,” said Charles Downing, operations management and information systems associate professor. “If someone was really going at [text messaging], it’s offensive. I haven’t seen a lot of it, I’m pleased to say.”

Text messaging in class is rude, and it makes noise. Simply pushing buttons on a phone will often make noise, even if the phone doesn’t emit any additional noise.

Reading the newspaper, doing Sudoku, working on a crossword puzzle or even doodling at least can be done silently. It may show a lack of interest, but at the same time, it generally doesn’t disrupt my ability to pay attention.

If something is urgent, by all means, take care of what is needed. Otherwise, let it wait. Those around you will appreciate it.