Your vote can make the difference

By MICHELLE GILBERT

It’s something we’ve all learned in history class.

Voting rights have a long history in America, especially the struggle for those rights to be available to everyone, despite race, gender or age.

With such a history, it’s unfortunate that more people don’t take advantage of their rights.

On campus, the more students voting in Student Association elections and the more people at SA and Residence Hall Association meetings, the better.

Unfortunately, the voting population for campus elections in past years has been minimal.

This year’s elections for SA senators will be Tuesday, Sept. 25, and Wednesday, Sept. 26, and meetings for prospective candidates are Tuesday, Sept. 11, and Monday, Sept. 17.

I’ve heard people say that they didn’t vote in the past because they thought a candidate’s friends would all vote for them. As the popular opinion goes, they thought that their vote wouldn’t matter.

Most candidates don’t have 500 or 1,000 friends to vote for them – but this school does have more than 500 or 1,000 potential voters.

Like members of Congress, these students are elected to represent the student body in the SA Senate and on committees that make important decisions on behalf of the rest of the student body.

Greek life, distribution of student fees, the introduction of new student groups and the Huskie Bus Line are just a few issues the SA deals with. Decisions that the SA makes directly affect you.

If you want to do more than just vote, run for a spot on the senate. There are 40 possible seats, allowing for eight people from each of the five SA districts of NIU.

“If students want to help out, there are definitely opportunities to do so,” said SA President Jarvis Purnell.

You can also talk to senate candidates and take time to learn what they would like to do and what kind of ideas they have. You’ll be more informed when it’s time to vote.

Residence Hall Councils meet at 9 p.m. Tuesdays in each hall.

They make decisions regarding budgeting and programming, and can vote on various improvements to make within the halls – such as adding couches or more comfortable chairs in laundry rooms.

Whatever way you prefer, stay involved on campus.

“If your opinions and ideas are not presented, no one will hear them,” said Colleen Murphy, Campus Activities Board president and senior communication major.

Voting only takes a minute, and there plenty of opportunities on campus to use your voice.