Keep brain, body fit during semester

By Michelle Gilbert

Exercising is a great way to deal with stress, improve your mental and physical health, have fun and be social.

Whether dancing, playing hockey or running, pursuing an active lifestyle will pay off in well-being.

For me, when running, I’ve found that having someone to go with is great motivation. Running with one person or a group of people helps keep a good pace. That way, you’re not running too fast at first and getting too tired later, and you can have a conversation along the way.

In addition to having a workout buddy, start a regular exercise program. Especially for freshman getting used to more independence, schedules can get busy and exercising can fall by the wayside. Find something you like and try planning it into each day.

Just make sure it’s something you’ll want to do.

“No one’s gonna stick with it if they don’t like what they are doing,” said Becky Lewis, Recreation Services assistant director for fitness and marketing.

The Campus Recreation Center is a good resource. Students can visit the Rec for free, and use treadmills, play basketball, volleyball, racquetball or tennis, or weight lift. The Rec also offers extra programs and exercise classes such as yoga, kickboxing and cycling.

It doesn’t matter what you do; what’s important is to keep moving.

“Find something active that you like, do it 30 minutes a day, at least,” said John Kissane, freshman political science major.

Exercise doesn’t necessarily have to come in the form of going to the gym or playing sports, either. Helping people move in or fixing things up around your home can work well. Tearing out a whole batch of gardening left from previous homeowners gave me a great workout.

Even regular chores, such as cleaning and folding laundry, allow a break from studying and the opportunity to let your mind drift. You’ll be better able to work through problems – maybe think up an introduction to a paper – as you get into the rhythms of your workout.

Especially during stressful times of the semester – such as midterms and finals – taking a break and allowing yourself to relax can help you be that much more productive when you head back to the books.