ASA organization offers exposure to cultures of Africa

By Sandra Masibay

An international student from Kenya is doing her part to increase student involvement in the NIU community.

Mukilah Maitha is the public relations officer of the African Student Association (ASA).

The ASA is an organization of students comprised of a diverse representation of countries such as Egypt, Morocco, Mauritania, Senegal, Gambia, Liberia, Togo, Nigeria, Cameroon, South Africa, Zambia, Tanzania, Rwanda, Kenya, Ethiopia and Madagascar.

As an organization, the ASA brings African students together through social and political events.

“We expose students to seminars, speakers and conferences pertaining to Africa,” Maitha said.

Last year the organization brought Liberia’s former minister of finance to NIU to speak. She also was the former head of Citibank in Africa.

The ASA in conjunction with the Center for Black Studies also is sponsoring a speaker on current political and social changes in Africa Thursday afternoon and evening at the Center for Black Studies.

Along with providing information about Africa to African students, the organization strives to break stereotypes and educate the NIU campus and outlying regions.

“We would like to break down the current stereotype of Africa—heat, lions, jungle and war,” Maitha said.

Maitha said she hopes panel discussions and small cultural exchanges will help in achieving this goal.

Last year, the organization in conjunction with the College of Education held a mini-world showcase aimed at increasing cultural awareness.

Maitha also has participated in a local multicultural event taking place in Geneva and has appeared in a local TV expose intending to educate others on Africa and its different countries.

The organization not only strives to share knowledge through thought, but also through food and festivities. In April, the African Student Association will be holding an “Africa Day” in which writings, film, food and artifacts will be available.

Maitha has learned much about Africa from his involvement in the organization but he also has learned much from his experience in the U.S.

“We would like to make the most of our stay and learn about the American culture and people while developing as many lasting friendships as possible.

“On a personal level, the organization has exposed me to a lot of different people with very different backgrounds. When I talk to friends and family from back home about America I tell them it is not what you see on TV. They have a utopian image of the USA. I tell them (Americans) also have difficulties, problems,” Maitha said.

Maitha encourages participation from as many individuals and campus organizations as possible. For more information, contact the international student office at 753-1346, the Center for Black Studies at 753-1709 or the Student Association at 753-0482.