Unpaid internships may not be worth it

By Ryan Strong

Last summer, I stood in the rain, cold and hungry, looking for people to interview. What made matters worse was that at the end of the week, I would still be broke. I was an unpaid summer intern.

I decided to apply for an unpaid internship at my neighborhood newspaper. Some students have positive experiences that stay with them for the rest of their life. I was not one of those students. My experience was similar to that of the 2006 film “The Devil Wears Prada.” As summer vacation approaches, I wonder if an unpaid summer internship is really worth it.

Some administrators on campus believe summer internships are crucial to a student’s college experience.

“[Summer internships] are a great way to gain real world experience [and are better than] sitting in a classroom,” said Linda Watson, internship coordinator for the English department.

I believe it depends on the place where the student interns. During my internship at a newspaper, my tasks included ordering McDonald’s, sweeping and mailing letters. In contrast, some students are able to work closely in their field while interning.

The intern aspect of the job did not bother me; the unpaid part did. While most of my friends were buying new clothes and going to concerts, I was pinching pennies and waiting for the bus. It is common knowledge that college students tend to be financially limited, yet many employers exclusively offer unpaid internships.

“It’s supply and demand,” said career counselor Robert Huffstutler . “If you have 20 people competing for one job, why pay someone when someone else will do it for free?”

Moreover, Huffstutler said another reason why many internships are unpaid is because they have been that way for years.

“Historically, summer internships are unpaid,” he said. “It’s difficult for employers to change that.”

Both counselors agree that internships help students find employment in the long term.

“The long term benefits outweighs the short them losses,” Huffstutler said.

That summer, I did not make a penny. However, I did meet professionals in the journalism field and I have another employer to add to my resume.

Furthermore, while my peers are searching for internships, I already have an employer to return too.

On the flip side, unpaid means unpaid. Every Friday, I thought my editor would surprise me with a paycheck, and she never did.

As a freshman, I have yet to see the long-term benefits of my internship. My personal experience as an intern was not the best, but I am not trying to discourage anyone from seeking an internship for the coming summer.

I can only cross my fingers and hope a summer of free labor will pay off.