We should know how NIU uses funds

By Keith Cameron

The March 2 issue of the Northern Star posed two conflicting ideas of university spending. It is time the student body addresses the question: Where exactly is the money going?

The editorial section of that issue contained an open letter to Illinois Gov. Blagojevich asking for money to rebuild NIU’s Stevens Building. Six days later, the front page story of the Star was about $19 million the governor proposed in his 2008 budget. The article began with the line “NIU President John Peters’ trip to Springfield last week proved successful … “

The idea seemed to be ask, and you shall receive.

On page 3 of the March 2 issue was an article about making SA representatives accountable for allocated funds. In this article, first-term senator Andre Ramsey said, “There isn’t an efficient checks and balances system for the amount of work that the directors of the SA produce.” While I agree with repairing the Stevens Building, I believe that holding officials of the university responsible for spending is more important.

While sitting at a Stevenson Towers North Residence Hall Association meeting and voting on how my residence hall’s money is used, I wondered if the funds could be used for something better. For some people, budgeting tickets to a Chicago Bulls game or entertainment costs for parties on campus (both of which were issues I voted on in RHA meetings) seems perfectly reasonable. However, it seems somewhat frivolous to me when fellow columnist Ryan Strong reported in one of his editorials that a large piece of tile fell on his head while he was showering in Grant Towers South.

I talked to Garret Weaver, RHA treasurer, about the money used in Housing and Dining. When I asked Weaver about money not used in RHA, he said, “The money that started out for the students stays for the students.”

But in what manner is it used? When I asked him if there was bureaucracy and “red tape” at NIU, he said bureaucracy is “extensive” and he works with red tape “on a daily basis.”

The issue isn’t the RHA, and Garret Weaver isn’t a villain, but it seems odd to me that President Peters can ask for money from the state, and we have just begun to take notice of unequal funding and unmonitored spending on the campus. How long will it be before the Northern Star publishes a letter to rebuild the Grant residence halls? Shouldn’t we be taking more heed when it comes to money and spending? After all, it is our money.

If programs like the RHA and the SA (and they are not the only examples) exist to ensure that students are able to use their money, then we should be able to directly fix problems before they become newsworthy. Students should be curious, watchful and vigilant when it comes to the spending habits of the university. Laxity leads to excess spending, and excess spending leads to more Stevens Buildings.