Campus safety can be improved

By Ryan Strong

Sexual assault happens every day, by people in all types of neighborhoods and of all backgrounds. That said, the university’s campus is obviously not immune to sexual assault.

However, as I walk back to my dorm at night I wonder: Is the university doing enough to ensure the safety of men and women on campus? According to Clery Campus, 33 cases of sexual assault occurred at or around NIU between 2003 and 2005. It is difficult to say how widespread this problem is, considering that sexual assault often goes unreported.

Other than the occasional University Police squad car, I never see any type of security on campus. After speaking with other students, I realized that I’m not alone.

“I would like to see more patrol on foot, especially at night,” said junior finance major Lisa Buford.

This is only my second semester at NIU, but I have yet to see any patrol officers on foot, aside from a typical Friday night in Grant South.

That is not to imply that University Police is not working hard to keep students safe, but I believe more could be done.

Women, though not excluding men by any means, deserve to feel safe on campus. There are many ways in which this could be improved.

One of the major changes I’d like to see would be more call boxes on campus. According to University Police Lt. Matt Kiederlen, there are more than 70 call boxes on campus. However, students, including myself, find them hard to come by.

“I never see any call boxes and I’d like to see more,” said freshman marketing major Samantha De Legge.

There are also several programs such as the Late Night Ride Service and the Huskie Patrol on campus, but are they enough to ensure the safety of students?

“Sometimes, I feel safe,” De Legge said. “There are no cameras and a lot of the streets are not well-lit.”

Installing security cameras around campus may not sit well with some students, but it is arguably the best way to keep students safe. Offenders are less likely to commit crimes while cameras are present.

Unfortunately, it is impossible to completely stop sexual assault from happening. With the proper knowledge, safety precautions and measures, women can protect themselves and decrease their chances of becoming victims.

“Education is the key to keeping women safe,” said Marianne Tomlinson, acting assistant director of the Women’s Resource Center.

Victims of sexual assault are encouraged to contact the Women’s Resource Center or University Police.

Sexual assault is by far the worst crime that can happen to anyone regardless of gender. Since this generally tends to affect women, it is the university’s responsibility to keep female students safe at all times.