Huskies can influence DeKalb elections

By Michael Swiontek

Local voting is a problem in DeKalb because as a community, DeKalb is inept at political participation.

Only 6,003 DeKalb residents voted in the last mayoral election on April 5, 2005.

With a population of more than 42,000 people, this is a ludicrously low turnout.

Many NIU students complained about issues like the elimination of 50-cent draft night and the smoking ban. It is unwarranted to complain about legistlation if one doesn’t participate in choosing their leaders.

I can’t blame the many students who were not here during the last election. Those students can prove their awareness of their vote’s impact if they choose on April 17. Don’t dismiss the election because you will be fleeing DeKalb in the next two years. Even if you may not be here for much more time, future students are counting on you to be their representative. If you failed to vote in the last election because your head was still spinning from adjusting to the demands of college life, you have the opportunity to influence your hot-button issues.

It is given that some students may vote at home, but let’s not count the upperclassmen in political science.

As written in the April 6, 2005 Northern Star, 6th Ward Alderman Dave Baker was elected by a mere 17 votes in a race with only 331 total voters. Three council races in the last four years were decided by 30 votes or less.

This year’s aldermatic election has some more weight because four seats are up for election and at least two of the seats are open to new candidates. The direction of the city council is at stake and students don’t get it.

Both 5th Ward Alderman Pat Conboy and 7th Ward Alderman James Barr have stated their intentions not to run for reelection.

Karega Harris has yet to make a decision, but it seems likely that he will not seek reelection in the 1st Ward.

Recent decisions to raise the minimum liquor prices and ban smoking in public places with the temporary exception of bars have been unpopular on campus. What students don’t understand is that they could have impacted those decisions. One large motivated group could sway the election.

On Sept 1, 2007, DeKalb will be smoke-free in bars, the only bastion for indoor public smoking. Many bar owners, employees and patrons are upset and concerned about the fallout of this legislation. The measure to give the bars a year extension was a compromise to allow them time to adjust.

After this election, the freshly elected council has it in their power to make major changes that students have expressed interest in. The council could even overturn the smoking ban if the votes exist.

Also, the upcoming changes to the liquor code have to be passed by the council. For many years, students have clamored for another bar to help spice up the nightlife scene in DeKalb. Soon the liquor commission will be reclassifying their licenses and it is possible the council will vote on the addition of another Class A liquor license.

A majority of people in any place should determine the extension of governance within their community.

It is good that DeKalb is going smoke-free and tightening the liquor code, so if you don’t speak up, I am pleased.

Although I am only one vote, please don’t let it count for so much this year.

Michael Swiontek is the managing editor for the Northern Star.