International Week brings global issues to NIU campus

By Stephanie Kohl

DeKALB | Students interested in what life is like outside of the U.S. have a chance to learn all about it during the 8th Annual International Week, beginning today.

With 726 non-immigrant students on campus, it is important to recognize the significance of International Week in relation to NIU.

“International Week is our attempt at NIU to highlight the global issues and in fact to highlight the inter-connectedness of all elements in our society and to emphasize the relations between NIU and the rest of the world,” said Deborah Pierce, executive director of the Division of International Programs.

International Week is sponsored by the NIU Division of International Programs and Douglas Hall International House. International Week also is a national program, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education.

Some of the events for the week include a faculty panel and discussion, highlighting the work NIU professors have done abroad. This will take place today at 11:30 a.m. in the Holmes Student Center’s Sky Room.

“Many students and faculty don’t know how very active some of our professors are in other countries and this panel will highlight three of those folks,” Pierce said.

In the Douglas Hall lobby today from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., the International Student Organizational Cultural Expo will give international students a chance to show displays with photographs and items that are representative of their country and life there.

“Speaking Out Against Racism” is a returning event that received a great response last year. It will take place Thursday at 8 p.m. in the C/D Cafeteria in Douglas Hall. During this time, students will discuss experiences they have had with racism.

“[Students should attend these events] to experience the inter-connectedness of our global environment and to recognize not only the impact of other cultures in society on the U.S. but also to recognize the common elements of humanity that link us all,” Pierce said.

Pierce said international education is an important way to understand life in other countries.

“I always used to say that international education is building peace one student at a time,” she said. “One reason why I say that is if you have a really close friend from another country, you aren’t going to think of that country the same way anymore.”

The previously foreign country becomes the home of your friend and you no longer see it as a place where you won’t like the food or won’t understand the people, Pierce said.