‘Yell like Hell’

By Stephanie Kohl

DeKALB | The 23rd Annual Yell Like Hell competition is Wednesday at 7 p.m. at the Convocation Center.

Last year’s champions, the Philippine Student Association, are returning this year with hopes to keep the title another year. The crowd can expect bigger and better things from this year’s cheer, said Leal Musni, president of the Philippine Student Association.

“We’re doing a lot of different stuff this year. There will be a lot more stunts and our song selection should really pump up the crowd,” Musni said.

The team has been practicing for three weeks and came up with a routine with the help of the many ex-high school cheerleaders on the team.

A total of twelve teams will perform two and a half minute cheers in front of a panel of judges. The teams will be judged in six categories: yell; fundamentals; synchronization, spacing and formations; difficulty, creativity and originality; NIU spirit and overall effect.

“Yell Like Hell is a great way to get pumped up for Saturday’s game, as well as a great chance to watch some really competitive cheerleading,” said Colleen Murphy, public affairs for Campus Activities Board, which is sponsoring the event.

CAB expects about 300 students to attend and cheer for their favorite teams. Each team is made up of students from all different student organizations.

“The event is to raise Huskie spirits and really get the students ready for the homecoming game,” Murphy said. “One might also think of it as a pep rally.”

The event is also a way to get recognition on campus.

“We want our student organization to be recognized,” Musni said. “Asian Americans in general don’t have a voice on campus … so we hope by participating in a big event like this, we’ll be more recognized.”

Stephanie Kohl is a Campus Reporter for the Northern Star.