Early Alert helps students improve skills

By Michelle Gibbons

DeKALB | Finding the proper resources and skills to succeed in courses can often be difficult for students, but Early Alert may be the answer.

The program identifies students who are having difficulties with their classes, said Don Bramlett, director of retention programs. The nationally-available program was introduced to NIU in the fall of 1998.

According to the Office of Retention Programs’ Web site, “[Early Alert’s] purpose is to interact with faculty during the third week of each academic semester to identify students who may be demonstrating a need for support to successfully complete course requirements.”

Spreading the word

At the beginning of each semester, Bramlett and Vice Provost Earl Seaver send letters to NIU deans, department chairs and professors. Professors then refer students to Bramlett, who offers students further guidance in making decisions based on their class work and attendance.

Bramlett said he tries to make students more aware of the resources available to them. He also lets students know about the course withdrawal deadline for each semester, which for this semester is Friday, Oct. 20.

“The purpose of [Early Alert] is to offer students help and also encourage students to talk with their professors,” Bramlett said. “There are a lot of student support services on campus. It’s just a matter of finding them and knowing where to go.”

Learning to succeed

Bramlett said the Early Alert program has increased in the number of referrals over the past few years. From 1998 to the 2000, fewer than 100 students each fall were referred to Early Alert, he said. In 2002, about 75 students were referred and in 2003 there were about 100 referrals made. From fall 2004 to fall 2005, the number of referrals largely increased, with 150 students referred in 2004 and 500 referred in 2005.

Bramlett said the increase in referrals from fall 2004 to fall 2005 was due to Seaver’s involvement in the program.

“He’s extremely student-oriented,” Bramlett said. “He made it [his goal] to talk with the college deans and chairs to get their support and encouraged faculty to respond to Early Alert requests.”

Valerie Garver, an assistant professor of history, has been referring students through Early Alert since fall of 2003.

Though Garver said no students mentioned their participation in the program last semester, in this and previous semesters, Garver said she usually has about 20 students who receive help through Early Alert.

“The students who have discussed their participation in the program with me have indicated that it helped them to learn practical skills like time management and underlined crucial habits that helped them to be successful in their coursework, especially regular attendance of classes,” Garver said.

She said this program is particularly valuable to freshmen who are first learning how to succeed at the university.

“We’re trying to make the program more effective by being able to get as many referrals and follow-ups with students as we can,” Bramlett said.

For more information on Early Alert, call the Office of Retention Programs at 753-7822, or e-mail Don Bramlett at [email protected].