THE BREAKDOWN

By Sean Connor

OFFENSE

Quarterback: C+

Buffalo’s quarterback story coming into this season was eerily similar to NIU’s.

Like NIU sophomore Dan Nicholson last season, Buffalo’s sophomore Drew Willy took over at quarterback after starter Stewart Sampsel suffered a season-ending injury.

This year, Sampsel would have had to earn his job back, just like NIU senior quarterback Phil Horvath did in August, but Sampsel failed.

So Buffalo sided with the 6-foot-3, 213-pound Willy. The New Jersey native tossed for 1,481 yards, six touchdowns and 12 interceptions last year. He also completed 60 percent of his passes, a school record.

Running backs: C

Buffalo’s horror story of last season may have come at running back after starter Steven King ran for 532 yards and three touchdowns. Yes, that’s actually his name. Yes, those were his season totals.

NIU’s running back Adrian “Train” Davis, who graduated, ran for 501 yards and three scores as NIU’s third-string back last fall.

A senior, King returns this season, but has relinquished carries to fellow senior Jared Patterson and converted redshirt freshman quarterback James Starks.

Each has crossed the goal line once this season while combining for 224 yards.

Receivers: C+

In two games, 10 different receivers have caught passes from Willy.

Like NIU, Buffalo’s leading receiver is its running back, King. The New York native leads the team with seven catches while sophomore Terrance Breaux leads the team with 78 yards on four grabs.

However, the strongest piece of this unit may be the tight end, Chad Upshaw. Heading into the 2006 season, Upshaw was listed on the tight end’s John Mackey Award list. The senior tight end had 37 catches for 359 yards and three touchdowns last fall. This season, the Connecticut native has three snags for 39 yards.

Offensive line: Incomplete

Buffalo’s hogs up front allowed 43 sacks last season while blocking for 1,199 rushing yards.

Thus, it may not be bad that the Bulls lost three starters from last year’s squad.

Sophomores Ray Norell and Jon Geddes take over at tackle and guard, respectively, on the left side.

Center Jamey Richard and sophomore right guard Jeff Neidermier retain their spots while senior Gerry Weissinger takes over at right tackle for the departed Leroy Auguste.

This year’s group is on pace to allow 36 sacks by season’s end.

DEFENSE

Defensive line: D

Aaron Sanders led the University at Buffalo with 6 1/2 sacks from his defensive end position before graduating in May.

Sanders, however, isn’t the only loss, as Buffalo must replace all four of its defensive linemen from last season’s 1-10 team.

Juniors Trevor Scott and James Judges will take over at defensive end. Both stand over 6-foot-5, but weigh less than 255 pounds.

In the middle sits two 6-foot tackles in Ronald Hilaire and Labin Hakanjin. Hilaire returns as the most experienced of the group, playing in 10 games last season. This crew combined for 21 tackles and one sack last fall.

Secondary: B-

Buffalo’s best defensive player, junior Kareem Byrom, led the Bulls with 83 tackles and three interceptions last year.

Returning with Byrom is junior cornerback Jesse Imes, who’s moving over from safety. Imes had 51 tackles and one interception for the Bulls last fall.

The newcomers will be redshirt freshmen Kendrik Hawkins, at cornerback, and Mike Newton, at safety.

The knock on this group is that every member stands at 5-foot-10. Outside of NIU wide receiver Marcus Perez being 5-foot-10, each of the Huskies receivers and tight ends are at least 6-feet-2.

Linebackers: B

This year, Buffalo’s defense will feature three linebackers instead of three safeties.

Moving from safety to outside linebacker is senior Ramon Guzman. The 6-foot-2, 233-pound Guzman registered 51 tackles, 2 1/2 sacks and one interception in the secondary last year.

The lone returnee of the group is the defense’s only other senior, Jeff Bublavi. The Norwood, Pa., native had 45 tackles and one sack last season after recording 62 tackles and two sacks the year before despite only starting two games.

Joining the two veterans is junior Ollice Ervin at middle linebacker. Ervin had 17 tackles in 10 games for the Bulls in 2005.

Buffalo Bulls breakdown

Head coach

Turner Gill

Offense

Multiple

Defense

4-3

What to expect

Although Buffalo is an improved squad over the ‘05 version, the Huskies shouldn’t have much of a problem. NIU has a chip on it’s shoulder and should come out and play like they have something to prove – because they do.

–Jarrod Rice, sports editor