‘Meet the Firm’ night expected to draw 25 companies to NIU

By RICK MORECI

The accounting fraternity Beta Alpha Psi and the Student Accounting Society of NIU is sponsoring “Meet the Firm” night where about 25 firms will be represented.

The event will take place tonight at 7 p.m. in the Duke Ellington Ballroom.

The “Big Six” firms also are included in the number of companies which are being represented. These firms are made up of Arthur Andersen, Price Waterhouse, Ernst and Young, Deloitte and Touche, Coopers and Lybrand and KPMG Peat Marwick.

The event takes place every semester and is open to all current accounting majors or any student interested in pursuing a major in accounting. Freshmen and sophomores also are encouraged to attend.

The purpose of the fall “Meet the Firm” night is to help students acquire full time jobs after graduation. The spring session of this event is put on in an effort to find internships for students.

This is a very popular event for two reasons. First, it gives the firms a chance to meet interested students. This is very helpful in the recruiting process.

Also, it gives students a chance to meet and learn more about many firms. This will help students when they interview for jobs.

“Meet the Firm” night will run in an open forum style. The firms will be set up in the Duke Ellington Ballroom and students can walk around and talk to any representatives they might be interested in.

Sharon Bolda, representative from the Beta Alpha Psi fraternity, said anyone interested should dress semi-formally. Bolda said this means a shirt and tie and a jacket if possible. The event will last anywhere from two to three hours.

“It’s a great opportunity for all accounting majors to get to know the representatives from different firms,” Bolda said.

Other firms which will be represented include: Altschuler Melvion and Glasser; Amoco Corp.; Baxter Healthcare Corp.; Caterpillar Tractor Inc.; Checkers Simon and Rosner; CNA Insurance Companies; Crowe Chizek and Company; Deere and Company; First National Bank of Chicago; Frost, Ruttenberg and Rothblatt; Meaden and Moore; Motorola, Inc.; Northern Trust Bank; NBC Tower; Philip Rootberg; Sikich, Gardner and Company; and WMX Technologies and Services Inc.