Huskies land first recruit

By Nathan Lindquist

With names like Scott Owen, Sam Hiatt and Josh Wooton, the NIU wrestling team has made a reputation for itself thanks to a solid group of lightweight wrestlers.

Coach Dave Grant added another premier recruit Thursday by signing two-time Ohio state champion Pat McLemore to a National Letter of Intent.

“We’ve had national placers,” said Grant about what attracted McLemore to sign with NIU. “We’ve been ranked in the top 25 for four of the past five years. Our program is on the move and he wanted to be a part of it.”

The Hinckley, Ohio-native compiled a 148-13 record at Padua Franciscan High School and won state titles his freshman and senior year. McLemore is ranked as high as No. 6 in the country at 133 pounds by intermatwrestle.com.

Grant said McLemore would probably challenge for the 141-pound spot vacated by senior Josh Wooton, but that he prefers to redshirt incoming freshmen.

One of McLemore’s most valuable assets is his riding ability on top, Grant said. McLemore, who is a five-time USA Ohio National Team member, holds the school’s career record for pins with 84. His 148 wins is also tops in Padua High history.

Last season, Grant netted a top-25 ranked recruiting class headlined by two-time Kansas state champion Joe Cornejo. The 149-pound Cornejo was redshirted last season and compiled a 16-3 record with 12 pins, mostly in tournament and invitational settings.

With national qualifier Mike Grimes already entrenched at 149 pounds, Grant said he wouldn’t rule out the possibility of Cornejo possibly moving to 141 pounds

“Grimes has one more year left and Cornejo is a freshman,” Grant said. “It’s like one going out and another coming in. That’s the idea.”

NIU returns nine of its 10 starters from last season and most of Grant’s recruiting class last year will challenge for starting spots, including the vacated 141 pound spot.

“We’ll play it by ear right now,” Grant said. “We’ll see who comes into the fall in good shape.”