Students get chance to be noticed

By Richard Pulfer

While mainstream television is preoccupied with “Survivor” and “The Bachelor,” the Department of Communication’s annual Reality Bytes festival offers a glimpse into matters ranging from Mark Twain to Malawi.

Organized by assistant professor Laura Vazquez, the Reality Bytes film festival runs from March 31 to April 3. Although the festival only allows students to submit their work, the scope of Reality Bytes is hardly limited to NIU, drawing in submissions from across the country.

“It really raises the bar,” Vazquez said. “It’s one thing to be the best in the class but another to be the best in a national competition.”

In addition to the documentary category, Reality Bytes also has added a music video category, which will be screened April 3. Film editor and NIU alumnus Bill Weinman will be on hand to judge the submissions. In addition to offering advice to the aspiring filmmakers, the competition has one more potential bonus.

“The best thing is that Bill might share some of these entries with other directors and producers,” Vazquez said. “So it gives students a chance to build contacts as well.”

Aside from the competition, Reality Bytes will screen two finished works from recent alumni, Brian Ekdale’s “10 Days in Malawi” and Marcus Leshock’s “Mark Twain and the American Steamboat.”

“Leshock’s film is PBS quality and will probably be used by teachers to explore Mark Twain’s story and background,” said Jeffrey Chown, professor and graduate director of communication.

Leschock’s film explores the life of Samuel Clemens, whose pen name was Mark Twain, through his work as a steamboat pilot on the Mississippi River. His colleague, Ekdale, presents his own experiences as an aide worker in the African country of Malawi. Ekdale’s work won best documentary at the Purple Violet Film Festival at Kean University.

“We saw some of the poorest and the sickest people on our trips. Because they live in such primitive conditions, it’s hard for them to get access to medicine,” Ekdale said. “I think after experiencing what I experienced, it would be hard for it to be just something in the past.”

Reality Bytes begins March 31 with the screening of documentaries from 4 to 6 p.m. The festival continues with the screening of Ekdale and Leschock’s work April 1 at 7:30 p.m. The festival concludes with the music video competition at 8:45 p.m. April 3.

“Everything is free and open to the public, and it’s important that people know this,” Vazquez said. “One thing we’re doing differently is allowing the audience to pick their favorites. There will be papers and pencils distributed at the end of the festival. We don’t know what the prize will be, but there will be one.”