Alumni Association kicks off commencement

By Stephanie Kohl

Commencement Kickoff is being held in the Barsema Alumni and Visitors Center and offers 2006 graduates everything needed for their big day.

The event is sponsored by the NIU Alumni Association and offers students a chance to see the visitors center and meet their Alumni Association.

“We just think it is a really good way to introduce the students to the Alumni Association,” said Pat Anderson, director of Alumni Relations.

In past years, the event took place for longer than two days and about 1,000 students used the various services. This year is the first year the event will take place over three days and hours have been extended to accommodate more students, Anderson said.

Though the event got off to a slow start, various representatives estimated about 60 guests had attended the event before 2 p.m. Tuesday and they are optimistic that more students will take advantage of the services they offer.

The most used services include Jostens, which offers class rings, graduation announcements and diploma frames and Chappell Studio, which offers a free portrait sitting.

Chappell Studio has a variety of caps, gowns, honors cords, sashes and hoods available for all 2006 graduates. Students can wear their gown and have a picture snapped in less than five minutes, said Sean Becker, senior photographer for Chappell Studio. After the photo is taken, students will receive an e-mail with a link to Chappell Studio’s Web site to view and order the picture. There is no obligation to purchase photos.

In addition, Jostens is offering a special Commencement Kickoff discount on frames and rings offering savings of up to $250 on rings and 10 percent off frames.

Chad Conley, a senior electrical engineering technology major, visited Tuesday and was satisfied with his experience.

“I wanted everything to celebrate my life at Northern: ring, announcements, pictures, everything,” Conley said. “[Commencement Kickoff] was very nice. They are friendly people and I got all of my questions answered. They really did a good job.”