Cell phones off the hook in class

By Stephanie Kohl

While answering a call in the middle of class or text messaging someone may not distract a professor in a large lecture hall, some students aren’t fans of others interrupting their class time.

Freshman undecided major Tammy Vanover has noticed she deals with someone talking on his or her cell phone about once a week in her larger classes and thinks the bigger a class is, the less the teacher notices.

Kate Wiegele, an adjunct assistant professor of anthropology, said it is hard to see everything going on in a large auditorium. She has received complaints about noise levels in the classroom, but cannot remember if any were specifically about someone using a cell phone during class.

“Some students receive calls during class, which is distracting, and some leave in the middle of the class to talk on the phone,” Wiegele said.

Professors typically make their views on cell phone use known at the beginning of the semester and enforce the policies throughout the semester.

“Cell phone use in my class has not been an issue,” said Mark Kuchynka, an allied health professions instructor. “I make it clear to my students it will not be tolerated, and they should turn their phones off in class. If students are talking on the phone in class, it is only because the instructor is allowing it to happen.”

Although teachers have policies in place, some students feel they are not being enforced.

“I think teachers are starting to tolerate cell phones more, but it’s annoying because they have rules that aren’t being enforced,” said Marissa Wilkinson, a sophomore special education major.

Wilkinson has had problems with students talking on their phones during class and then getting annoyed when another student asks them to quiet down or leave the room.

“Teachers in bigger classrooms don’t even say anything [to the students],” Wilkinson said.

Some teachers are more strict with their cell phone policies.

Amy O’Brien, a sophomore art education major, said she is often frustrated that people who use their cell phones during class bother coming.

“If you’re going to go to the class, then be there, not text messaging the whole time,” O’Brien said.