Doctoral student shines

By Stephanie Kohl

For many students at Western Trails School in Carol Stream, NIU doctoral student Michelle Lia-Twohy has made a difference in their lives.

The U.S. Department of Education recently honored Lia-Twohy, the school’s reading specialist, as one of the “American Stars of Teaching,” the only one in Illinois.

“I was shocked when they gave me the award, but also very proud,” said Lia-Twohy, who got into teaching because of her love of working with children. “I really enjoy opening up children’s eyes to both academic things as well as things about the world.”

After being nominated by her principal, she was entered into the competition which would eventually select 51 exemplary teachers, one from each state and the District of Columbia.

Jim Doyle, principal of Western Trails School, said nominating Lia-Twohy was a “no-brainer.”

“Michelle is one of the top people that I’ve met in the field of reading,” Doyle said. “I think I learn something from her every day.”

The reasons behind the nomination include Lia-Twohy’s ability to work well not only with students, but staff as well.

She works one-on-one with students to get them at the reading level they need to be, as well as help teachers integrate new reading strategies into their classroom, Doyle said.

One of the goals Lia-Twohy has set is to help students she works with no longer struggle with reading.

“One of the best things that has happened to me as a teacher is when a student comes back once they’ve been to high school, hugs me and tells me how much I helped and how much they liked me,” Lia-Twohy said. “It lets me know that I am doing a good job.”

Lia-Twohy also has worked closely with Laurie Elish-Piper, director of the NIU Reading Clinic. Elish-Piper served as Lia-Twohy’s graduate advisor and the two continue to work together as Lia-Twohy completes her dissertation.

“I knew from the first day that [Michelle] walked into my office as a new master’s student that she had the potential to really do fabulous work and make a difference for students and teachers, and it’s exciting to see that happening,” Elish-Piper said.