Students get help with transferring

By Stephanie Kohl

The Dual Admissions Program has 474 active students who are admitted to NIU while attending one of 18 participating Illinois community colleges or are enrolled in courses at their community college and NIU.

Students can apply today for a future term while they attend community college, said Missy Gillis, transfer center coordinator.

Should a student be accepted for future enrollment at NIU, they will enjoy benefits at both NIU and their community college.

One of the major advantages students in the program have is the ability to track their academic course with NIU.

For example, a student in the DAP has access to academic counseling from both NIU and his or her community college. Working together, students are able to see how their courses from the community college will eventually transfer to NIU.

In addition, students have access to information relating to the courses needed to gain acceptance into their chosen major at NIU. Should a needed course not be offered at their community college, students have the option of becoming dually enrolled, taking courses at NIU that are not offered at their community college.

“The major advantage of this program is that it makes a seamless transition from the community college to the university,” said Bob Burk, director of admissions.

The DAP allows students continued access to a DARS report through WebConnect, which is updated every semester as the student’s transcripts are sent from the community college to NIU. This allows students to see exactly where their classes are going to fall and what courses they still need, Gillis said.

In addition, once students have completed an associate’s of arts or an associate’s of science degree, they are eligible to receive compact benefits from NIU which include junior standing and the fulfillment of all NIU general education requirements.

Students have assistance in making the transition from the community college to the university and assistance in making sure they have the proper courses to receive their bachelor’s degree on schedule.