Huskies roll at Pointer Open

By Nathan Lindquist

With three wrestlers ranked in the top 20 in their respective weight class and a talented group of underclassmen, the NIU wrestling team has created high expectations this season.

And in their first action of the season Saturday, the Huskies did not disappoint as they won seven of 10 weight classes at the Pointer Open in Stevens Point, Wis.

Last season at Stevens Point, NIU won three weight classes and placed 12 wrestlers in the top four of their weight classes. The Huskies returned in dominating fashion for the day-long tournament with seven champions and 14 total placers. Afterward, NIU coach Dave Grant had nothing but compliments for his team’s performance.

“The fundamentals were good,” Grant said. “Our conditioning was superior. I was very pleased. We need to keep improving, but I don’t see a need for any major adjustments yet.”

Ranked as high as No. 9 in the nation at 149 pounds, junior Mike Grimes continued his torrid streak from last season by winning all five of his matches. The Villa Park native won the championship match 3-2 against freshman teammate Joe Cornejo, who pinned two opponents en route to the final.

At 125 pounds, sophomore Pat Castillo out-scored his four opponents 29-7 to win the title. He also met a teammate in the final in sophomore Zach Berman, who Castillo defeated 3-1.

Following his undefeated run through the MAC last season, 141-pound senior Josh Wooton made another statement toward his quest to becoming an All-American. The 13th-ranked Wooton registered a pin and a major decision to win his weight class.

Sophomore Aaron Owen, brother of NIU all-time wins leader Scott Owen, won his first tournament title at 157 pounds. After leading the Huskies last season in wins and pins, NCAA qualifier junior Johnny Galloway also cruised to another title.

Brothers Danny and Duke Burk won the championships at 174 and 184 pounds respectively. As an incoming freshman, Duke said he thinks the team showed it is extra motivated this season to get over the hump and win the MAC.

“A lot of people are looking at us as young and rebuilding,” Duke said. “But we’re fired up. If we continue to work hard, we will win the MAC. I’ve watched the last two years, and it’s been heartbreaking to see us go to the championship and have Central Michigan beat us.”

Other top-four place winners for the Huskies included juniors Gralan Early and Andy Hiatt at 133 pounds, senior Alex Nelson at 165 pounds, freshman Nick McClone at 184 pounds and junior Joe Sapp at heavyweight.

Big Ten foe and No. 15 Wisconsin also was present at the tournament, sending seven of its starters. But when the Huskies and Badgers faced each other heads up, NIU came out on top the majority of the time. Grimes said the tournament’s results set up an intriguing match when the two teams meet again Dec. 11.

“I think it raised confidence in a lot of people’s mind,” Grimes said. “Before there’s always been a little doubt [against Wisconsin]. They didn’t have all their starters. But we know now that we have a team that can beat those guys. We’re a force to be reckoned with.”