End zone facility $200K away

By Nathan Lindquist

After its blueprints were introduced in April, the north end zone facility at Huskie Stadium is coming close to being a reality.

The project is $200,000 away from its $7 million construction goal, NIU Athletics Director Jim Phillips said Saturday.

The remaining $2.5 million of the projected $9.5 million construction cost will be covered by ticket revenues, Phillips said.

HORVATH ‘COMPLETE’ QB

Despite not producing the gaudy stats he had in weeks prior on Saturday, quarterback Phil Horvath still leads the nation in completion percentage. The junior has completed 70.3 percent of his passes and is averaging 235.8 yards per game. His 159.7 passing efficiency rating is good for ninth in the NCAA.

BIRDMAN OUT OF LOOP

The NIU offense has built a national reputation for its running game. But it was the passing game earlier this season that put the most points on the board for the Huskies.

After averaging almost 300 yards per game the first five games of the season, the NIU passing attack has not cracked 200 yards in the last three games.

Over that time period, leading receiver Sam Hurd has only eight catches for 89 yards. The senior wideout was averaging more than six catches and 106 yards per game in the first five games.

One of the lone bright spots for the passing game is freshman Britt Davis. The converted quarterback led all NIU receivers with eight catches for 54 yards and a touchdown against Ball State. Davis also led the Huskies last week at Kent State with four catches for 71 yards and a touchdown.

WHEN THE LEVEE BREAKS

It’s back to the drawing board for the NIU run defense. In the previous two games, the front seven only allowed 158 total yards.

But against Ball State, the defense gave up 196 yards as the Cardinals consistently pounded the middle of the field with four different running backs. The Huskies now give up an average of 151.6 rushing yards per game.

One of the few positives on the defensive side of the ball was the appropriately named Craig Rusch. The freshman defensive end continued his stellar rookie season with two sacks and a forced fumble. Despite playing in only four games, Rusch has totaled three sacks and two forced fumbles.

PLAYERS OF THE WEEK

Ball State cornerback Joshua Taylor was announced Monday as the MAC West Defensive Player of the Week.

Taylor contributed seven tackles, two sacks and two forced fumbles in the Cardinals win over NIU.

KICKING BACK

He isn’t on the back of a milk carton, but sophomore kicker Chris Nendick has been an invisible man this year. In his freshman campaign, Nendick was 16-for-21 on field goals and 51-of-52 on extra points.

Through the first eight games this season, he only has five field goals on seven attempts and is perfect on all 32 extra points. At this rate, Nendick will finish with eight