Fine Arts House doesn’t get studio

By Stephanie Kohl

When the Student Insurance Office moved from Neptune Hall North in the spring, it left a vacant office in need of filling.

A meeting was held at the end of last semester to discuss the future use of the space.

“At the end of the meeting, we were told that they would look into the costs of everything,” said Alexandria Callahan, a senior theater and psychology double major who was part of the meeting. “But since we all agreed that the [dance] studio was a good use for the space, they would make it happen.”

When students returned looking for a dance studio, however, they found the Office of Commuter and Non-Traditional Student Services occupying the space.

“This office was created when the Student Affairs organizational structure was changed,” said Sandi Carlisle, associate director of Residential Facilities. The Office of Commuter and Non-Traditional Student Services consists of an office as well as a lounge for commuter and non-traditional students to enjoy during classes.

“We want commuter and non-traditional students to feel included on campus and have a space of their own,” said Troy Melendez, director of commuter and non-traditional student services.

The office is also used for off-campus housing. Future plans include putting up a bulletin board for roommate searching and providing carpool information not only for commuter students, but those looking for a ride home on the weekends as well.

Dancers, however, need not lose hope for their studio; the current office assignment is just temporary. The plan is to eventually move the office to the Holmes Student Center, said Michael Coakley, assistant vice-president for student life.

“This is the Fine Arts House, so it would make sense to promote the fine arts and not commuting and non-traditional students,” Callan said.

“Since the space in Neptune North was already office-ready, we put Commuter and Non-Traditional Student Services’ office there temporarily,” Coakley said. “But, the possibility of a theater and dance studio is not completely ruled out for the future.”

Despite efforts to appeal to theater students, some feel under-represented.

“I’m just upset that we currently have an art studio and a music practice room, but there is nothing for theater/dance students,” Callahan said. “This is the Fine Arts House, so it would make sense to promote the fine arts and not commuting and non-traditional students.”