Campus cyclists need regulations

By Taheerah Abdul-Rahmaan

Bicyclists should have an obligation to follow the law, just like pedestrians and motorists.

The Northern Star reported Friday that in two separate incidents, two bicyclists were involved in accidents with motorists.

Several weeks ago, the Star ran an opinion column focused on the dangers bicycling students pose to their less mobile peers. Cyclists riding too close to students, peddling too fast and talking on their cell phones were some annoyances cited.

Yes, I’m waiting for the ‘no riding while talking on the cell phone law’ to pass.

The fact is more people, especially students, are opting to trade their four-wheeled cars for two-wheeled bicycles because of the continued rise in gas prices.

North Central Cyclery, Inc., 534 E. Lincoln Highway, has seen a recent rise in bike sales. According to Tobie DePauw, a store employee, the rise in sales and student patronage of the store is an effect of gas prices, but other factors such as increased marketing and more community participation have also led to the increase.

Wal-Mart also reported a rise in bike sales and accessories; in early September, my roommate attempted to purchase a bike lock for her newly acquired bicycle but Wal-Mart didn’t have anymore in stock.

According to a recent Agence France-Presse report from Washington, more people purchased bikes than cars within the past year. An estimated 87 million Americans own bicycles.

“I don’t have a problem with [student bicyclists], as long as they don’t hit me,” said Leslie White, a freshman undecided major.

But should it be that simple? What if they almost hit you?

I’ve noticed the deer-in-the-headlights facial expression I get when I’m riding too fast and approaching a student who’s walking toward me. There are students I’m trying to dodge. I can see it now. There’s only a little space for me to maneuver between the poor student who sees me coming and the two boys who have no idea I’m getting ready to crash into their backs.

Yes, I am a student biker who enjoys the quick luxury of peddling to my classes and meetings and getting a cardiovascular and leg workout at the same time. I’ve never hit anyone and I’ve never gotten into an accident.

Despite my clean biking record, I was given a citation while riding my bike through downtown DeKalb in September. Apparently, it’s illegal to ride a bicycle on the sidewalks of downtown DeKalb.

Even though I’ve never been in an accident with a motorist, I’ve had several close encounters.

These close calls seem to occur most often when motorists are attempting to make right turns into traffic. I’ve noticed many drivers look into oncoming traffic and make their turn without checking the sidewalks for oncoming bicyclists.

But it certainly doesn’t help the situation if that same bicyclist is wearing headphones or talking on a cell phone.

We Chicagoans are well aware of the no-hands-on-cell-phone-while-driving law enacted in July for motorists. Are there any such rules on the table for bicyclists in DeKalb? If not, should there be?

According to Andre Ramsey, the director of mass transit for the Student Association and the chairman of the Mass Transit Senate Committee, “there should be more done for student bicyclists … whether it be promoting the existing trail through the East lagoon, upgrading DeKalb city trails or raising safety awareness among biking and non-biking students.”

There aren’t any restrictions imposed on cyclists riding on campus, nor are there any on the table.

Ramsey said NIU is trying to make the campus a comfortable environment for all students, which would include the right for them to use their cell phones or eat a bag of chips while biking if they please.

Additionally, the city of DeKalb is researching ways to upgrade bike lanes and trails using the city of Wheaton, which has an excellent bike system, as a model.

But there should be some sort of safety rules enacted on NIU’s campus for cyclists like myself to follow.

It is difficult to bike, eat French fries and dodge pedestrians simultaneously. I’ve tried it.

“Until there are lanes set up specifically for bicyclists throughout NIU’s campus, there will be more accidents in DeKalb,” said Dion Smith, the Student Association’s director of student life.

What about those bicyclists who may answer a call while riding down the fresh DeKalb bike lane?

The thought alone scares me.

Columns reflect the opinion of the author and not necessarily that of the Northern Star staff.