Film student honored with festival recognition

By Richard Pulfer

For most aspiring filmmakers, completing the first cut of a film is an extremely trying and time-consuming task. For graduate student Brian Ekdale, however, the process is not without benefits or recognition.

His student film, “10 Days in Malawi,” won a grand prize of $1,000 at the Purple Violet Film Festival at Kean University. The victory came as a surprise, especially to Ekdale, who considers his thesis documentary project only halfway complete.

“It was exciting when it’s only halfway done and still wins awards,” Ekdale said. “It was also nice to network and see what was coming out of other programs.”

The film festival categories were divided into two genres: best student documentary and best student feature. The films showcased in the festival covered a wide range of subject matter, ranging from displaced families in Rwanda to humorous examinations of the overpopulation of geese on college campuses. Ekdale’s piece followed experiences in an aid camp in an African country.

“It’s a very powerful film, the way it’s shot and edited,” said Jeffrey Chown, professor and director of graduate studies in the communication department. “The question of a film being finished is always subjective to the artist. I’m sure Orson Welles could think of a couple of things he’d like to add to ‘Citizen Kane.’ I didn’t think it was incomplete at all when I watched it.”

The works of festivals were screened and then announced later in the evening.

Students had an opportunity to enter a mock pitch session with HBO producer Tom Fontana, creator of the “Oz” show. Afterwards, Fontana provided feedback for each participating student’s pitch strategy and project content.

“It was really valuable,” Ekdale said. “At least now I have an idea what they [HBO] are looking for.”

The festival concluded Sunday, with a screening of the winning pieces. There was also a brief reception afterwards.

“I’m ecstatic,” said communication assistant professor Laura Vazquez, who oversaw Ekdale’s project. “You know, every semester I encourage my students ‘don’t stop.’ There is a place for student work at film festivals, and this confirms it.”

Ekdale already has a few plans on how to spend the prize money from the festival win.

“I was thinking, ‘Hey, I got $1,000! I should pick up some steaks!’ But I guess I should funnel some of the money back into production,” Ekdale said. “I’d like the finished cut of the film to be done in a couple weeks, and then it will take a couple months to correct color and work on editing.”

According to Vazquez, the communication department is planning a screening of the finished cut of the film sometime in February, in conjunction with Black History Month.